Re: Re: Re: Failed Emission Testing

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Sat May 19 2001 - 16:10:45 EDT

At 01:26 PM 5/19/01 -0500, you wrote:
>I hope it isnt the injectors either, cause I really dont want to spend $100
>or so to get my stock ones cleaned. The truck was fully warmed up. I think
>for $7 I may just swap in six new spark plugs and fully clean the K&N cone
>filter and hope that helps. The K&N filter has only been on my truck for
>10,000 miles, but it does look rather dirty. Does anything know of anything
>else I should try? Kyle 93 Dakota 4x4 V6

Hi, Kyle

The number one cause for high HC readings is most likely vacuum leaks.
The owner/operator of a clean air test garage in Ont. told me that.
Test for vacuum leaks every place that you can think of.

I also would clean the air filter (putting in the stock cleaner wouldn't
hurt either
if you've still got it), do an oil/oil filter change, make sure the PCV
valve is not
sludged up or just replace it, swap to 5224 Autolites (if you are now using
3923s),
swap back to 195 tstat (if you're running a 180 tstat). Running a bottle
of CRC
Guaranteed To Pass one tank prior to test wouldn't hurt. CRC seems to
be more for controlling CO (got a 0% reading on my '96 minivan) but bringing
down the CO may help to bring down hc just a little.

Don't know if I should mention this from your previous experiences. If you've
still got the MSD unit, you might want to consider putting it back in for
the test.
Multi-sparks below 3000 rpm has got to burn up some of that unburnt gas (hc).

I ran the Dak on the hiway for about 45 minutes just before my appointment.

With full race mods (except for pcm), I got a 58 ppm reading which is the
max. hc
allowed in Ont. This was a training test (i.e. unofficial) that I did. I
plan to do the
above when I have to do the real test in March.

HTH.

Bob Tom Burlington, Ont., Canada
'97 Dakota Sport, 4x2, CC, Flame red, 5.2L, auto., 3.92SG