Re: <offtopic> Oil Companies Profit

From: Mike Crumley (mcrumley@airmail.net)
Date: Wed May 23 2001 - 12:57:37 EDT

On Wed, 23 May 2001 10:16:17 -0400, mgalyean@acm.org (Marty Galyean)
wrote:

>Are they being accused of price fixing?

Depends on who's doing the accusing. I'm damn sure accusing them of
price fixing, gouging and profiteering. Bush, on the other hand
wouldn't accusing them of any of that if he were shown a video tape of
the all sitting around smoking cigars and talking about it.

> That would be the only way to maintain a margin like that in the wholesale market. These companies are highly competitive and have never shied away from a price war if they thought they could outsell the
>competitor. What could possibly sustain a .53/gal margin in a market like that?

When was the last time you saw a real all-out gas war between the big
oil companies? On the other hand, what can sustain that kind of profit
margin is the consumers willingness to pay the price. Sure, you can
tune in the nightly news every night and see a segment with Mr. or
Mrs. Joe Lunchpail bitching and complaining about the high prices. How
hard it is on them and how they're having to cut back because of it.
But they're complaining while they're filling up their gas-guzzler
SUVs. As long as people continue to drive big gas hogs the oil
companies will keep sticking it to us.

97 V6 Auto
e-mail mcrumley@airmail.net

"No amount of advance planning will ever replace
dumb luck."--Anonymous