Re: suspension lowering questions....

From: Will Coughlin (willcoughlin@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu May 24 2001 - 00:12:43 EDT

I lowered my truck with the Hotchkis kit andI really don't think it's that
bad. The only complaints I think I have about it are #1-not near low enough,
and #2-very squeaky! I think I will be lowering mine some more in the near
future. Nobody makes a lowered spindle for gen-III's, so you'll have to get
lower control arms from Western Chassis, DJM, or AIM(not recommended), or
coils spring from any number of places, or both. Rear- no shackles made for
gen-III's, so you'll have to do a front/rear spring hanger swap. You could
do blocks, but I don't like blocks, and don't really trust them. You can
take leaves out of the factory leafs until the height suits you(will ride
very well if you have the right shocks), get lowered leafs from Hotchkis, or
airbag it! I am trying to decide right now if I want to go lower with steel
parts or save the $$ and go full air-ride soon. Be advised if you want to do
the rear with the hanger swap, you will have to drop the fuel tank, and will
need an air chisel, plasma cutter, and about 2 days labor. Oh yeah, about 4
1/2" is about as low as you can go without a c-notch. Alan Short took me for
a ride in his Hotchkis-equipped R/T last fall at the big Houston meet, and I
thought it was low enough and the ride was pretty good then. Now I spent the
$$ and wish I had it back to go lower with different parts. HTH,

Will Coughlin willcoughlin@hotmail.com
'00 reg.cab,2wd,4.7L/NV-3500HD5-spd/3.92sg(9.25")
http://www.geocities.com/willcoughlin/index.html

----Original Message Follows----
From: "The Hawbaker's" <shelbycsx@innernet.net>

whats the best way to lower a 2wd QC with the Sport package suspension and
not hurt the ride. I originally thought getting the full Hotchkis kit... I
was told by some that the ride was good. Now I am getting mixed answers.
Alot saying that it rides like a log wagon. So that leaves...... suspension
blocks and dropped spindles? or does Hotchkis have different spring rates
available along with different shock valving?

any help greatly appreciated!

p.s. anyone near south central PA have a Hotchkis equipped Dak that would be
willing to give me a ride?

Tim Hawbaker