Re: suspension lowering questions....

From: Will Coughlin (willcoughlin@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri May 25 2001 - 00:54:56 EDT

Whenever I had my blocks under my truck, I had a bad wheel hop problem.
After the blocks were out,wheel hop is non-existent. Same thing happened on
a friends Dakota. Also, when you lower with blocks, you bring the scrub
line/ ground clearance down a long way. What hotchkis uses is "stack
plates", basically steel plates the size and shape of the spring mounting
pads and as thick as the leaves stacked to adjust the ride height-much
better system than a block.Sure, you can use 4-cyl or V6 springs to lower
your truck, or you could buy some good springs that have a pre-determined
drop to them so you don't have to guess. The tires rub with the Hotchkis
kit, unless you "roll" the fenders and trim fender flares, so what's the big
deal??

Will Coughlin willcoughlin@hotmail.com
'00 reg.cab,2wd,4.7L/NV-3500HD5-spd/3.92sg(9.25")
http://www.geocities.com/willcoughlin/index.html

----Original Message Follows----
From: "Steven T. Ekstrand" <cyberlaw@earthlink.net>

There is absolutely nothing wrong with using the steel or cast iron
lowering blocks on the rear leafs. I believe Hotchkis has cut leaf
sections that you can stack on top of the leaf to drop the rear more.
These are absolutely safe. MP makes High quality extra long u-bolts.
Lowering the rear ins this way actually won't hurt performance it will
improve it if it were matched to an appropriately done drop in the front.
That's where the problem lies.

In the front you can drop more by using the wrong spring. On an R/T you
can use a V6 spring. It'll be lower. You didn't hear it from me. I
wouldn't do it.... Your tires will rub if you have anything decent sized
on.

-STE