Re: RE: 3.9 1988 Hall Effect Switch

From: Ray Sulich (ray.sulich@snet.net)
Date: Wed May 30 2001 - 01:45:41 EDT

At 10:30 PM 5/29/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>They are failing for a reason. I'll bet your voltage regulator is going
>south, as that's what happened to my '91 LE. Had replace the battery too,
>as it was fried.

Hall Effect Tformers are really tough. About the only thing that will
cause one to fail is physical damage. Ensure that there are no burrs on
the pickup. Look up Hall Effect on the Inet and you'll see what the design
specs are. They can take about any voltage spike on the face of the
earth. They are designed to shrug off voltage and current surges. I had
problems with my speed sensor on my Harley Davidson and studied up on
them. In my case, found that the sensor was torqued down too tight and the
crankshaft magnet was hitting the sensor causing physical damage to the sensor.