O2 Sensor question

From: Ray Sulich (ray.sulich@snet.net)
Date: Sat Jun 02 2001 - 07:49:07 EDT

My 91 5.2 4WD Dakota was running rich, and rough. The computer spit a Bad
O2 Sensor code. I replaced the O2 sensor with no change. I took the truck
in and it was found that the EGR valve was being told to open by the
computer. The tech. says it is a common problem for Dakotas. They plugged
the vacuum line to the EGR and now the error code is gone and the truck is
running great.

Question: What tells the EGR valve to open? And not that mine is plugged,
what kind of problems (if any) should I look for in the future.