Re: '01 CC SLT+ ghost noise in front

From: Leonard Price (lprice@consultronics.com)
Date: Sat Jun 02 2001 - 07:25:44 EDT

Well I thought I was the first person to have this. I have a 98 cc 5.2L and
sure enough when driving and then turning and applying the brakes there is
a clunk coming from the front end. Not a big clunk but none the less a
noticeable clunk. I thought it was the shocks , but its not, thought it was
the joints needed grease but that didn't cure it either. I am at a loss as
well. I was thinking it was the ball-joints. but I haven't gone in to
check it yet. How does one lubricate the "steering stops". Who knows maybe
that will help me. Any info would be greatly appreciated at this end as
well .

At 05:49 PM 6/1/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>15K Miles, 4Wheel ABS, Tow, 3.9L, 3.92 Axle Ratio
>
>When I make a left u-turn and hit the brakes or go over a bump there
>is this crunch/clunk noise. I could recreate it everytime UNTIL I got
>it to the dealer (of course).
>
>He said that my steering stops were dry and he lubed them and told me
>to see if that fixed it. He said nothing is loose under there,
>nothing is going to fall off, he checked the brakes, suspension,
>stabilizer bars.
>
>I couldn't recreate the noise coming home and will keep my ear to the
>ground.
>
>Does the steering stops solution seem feasable?
>
>Has anyone else had this type of noise and found the problem?
>
>Cliff Watson
>'98 Durango 5.9L,3.92, IB SLT+
>'01 Dakota 3.9L, 3.92, PB SLT+
>'01 Mulholland Prowler