Re: overheating problems/dodge full of @#$%?

From: Jim Miller (jim76712@swbell.net)
Date: Sat Jun 02 2001 - 23:04:53 EDT

If you change coolant at least every 2 years, use distilled or drinking
water that is demineralized and never run plain water without ample
antifreeze or other lubricant so the cooling jackets don't rust and deposit
it in the radiator, and flush out the entire system when changing coolant
you may be ok. Also remember some engines have sand in the block left over
from casting and that can mess up things. I don't know if Dodge uses sand
casting. Maybe someone else on the dml knows. Your radiator is made of
aluminum core with plastic tanks but should last about 10 years if well
maintained. These radiators cannot be boiled out in a caustic soda vat but
can be rodded out if clogged unless extremely clogged. However removing and
reinstalling the tanks to rod one out weakens the finger stock holding the
tanks on and cannot be done very many times.