Re: Question about optimal engine temp

From: Marty Galyean (mgalyean@acm.org)
Date: Sun Jun 03 2001 - 14:26:13 EDT

Adam,
A thermostat stuck in the open position is NOT a thermostat. I'd replace it.

The lifespan of your engine to a large degree depends on consistency of running
temperature. You need a thermostat that opens and closes and tries to maintain
a consistent temp. All those parts expanding to about the same size each
warm-up and run etc. I think you'd trip the MIL this coming winter if you
didn't fix it when it is colder out. You might have problems passing emissions
with the engine that cold also.

But these are just educated guess-stimates. As far as I know these things
aren't a big problem for you.

I am getting a bit concerned about the number of failures reported on the
Robert Shaw thermos. I picked one up the other day but am beginning to wonder
if I want to deal with having to replace it again if and when it fails so soon.

Marty