Question about optimal engine temp

From: Adam H (golfcartguy@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Jun 03 2001 - 13:03:06 EDT

A week or two ago I changed out the factory 195 degree thermostat for a 180
degree Robert Shaw one. Worked fine for a while and then stuck in the open
position. It tripped the MIL, so I reset it a week ago and it hasn't
tripped since. The engine runs at about 130 - 160 degrees now and seems to
be running good. Is this alright for the engine to run that cool as long as
it doesn't trip any malfunction indicators, or should it really be running
warmer than this.

Thanks,

Adam H