Re: Looking got 360 magnum block - pref. in Texas

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Mon Jun 04 2001 - 08:19:27 EDT

At 12:19 AM 6/4/01 -0500, you wrote:
><snip>
>
>The Haltech unit I purchased was the E6K - I got that, the generic
>harness, and the injector harness. I piggybacked it with the stock
>computer (which still retaines tranny pressure control, guages, etc.)
>The haltech uses GM style sensors so I had to install a new IAT, TPS
>(used a ford 5.0 unit with the 4bbl MPI TB), coolant temp (used a NPT
>y-fitting for the M1 manifold location - since thread size was larger
>than the guage which runs the dash; they are both connected now).
>
>I couldn't get the stock distributor to interface with the haltech
>correctly - which is strange since the haltech is native to hall effect
>setup - I am assuming it's something I did, but in a fit of frustration
>I threw on a MSD billet setup - works great, but now I lost the use
>of the stock tach :).
>
><snip>
>
>The Haltech was a bit of a pain to get tuned - you get no base map,
>settings, etc. I had tons of problems untill I realized the ignition module
>in the MSD triggered on the rising edge (ala old points setups) - I had it
>on falling like most modern efi vehicles <snip> The haltech should run fully
>sequential but I was having a hard time getting the hall effect sensor on
>the flexplate to read properly, so I was running it in batch fire mode at the
>time. <snip> You need to come up with a base timing map and pulsewidth
>map - you basically reference everything vs. RPM and Load (MAP sensor) -
>set the desired pulsewidth and advance. Crank it up, and tune from
>there. It took awhile but with the help of an O2 sensor I got part
>throttle tuning down, and then went to a dyno facility with a wideband
>setup and ended up around 12.8:1 as optimum A/F ratio for power
>(at torque peak, it leaned out to 13.1:1 at the hp peak). I then
>added in a bit more fuel and took out 2 degrees fromt he dyno since
>it's an inertial unit and is the loading is much less than real life.
>It's pretty easy to tune since you can make changes in real time
>and see the effect, it just takes quite a bit of effort. <snip>
>chris bennight

Thanks loads for the details, Chris. I don't ever recall seeing
an actual description of what's involved in putting any programmable
ems into a Dak.

Those afr that you've got are ideal from what I can gather and
your real life adjustments are valuable. That's what I would like
to aim for but can't afford any of the systems that you've mentioned.
I'm very close to seeing if I can dump the program from a PCM
to a PC. If successful, it will still take a lot of time to make
sense of the code.

Thanks again.
Bob