Inspecting Used Truck Tips/Hints

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Mon Jun 04 2001 - 23:52:18 EDT

What should I look for when looking at used trucks, especially ones not at a
dealership and being sold by the owner? The truck in question is this:
-1999 Dodge Ram 4Door Quad Cab
-2500 3/4 ton 4WD SLT
-Long 8 Foot Bed
-5.9L 360 V8
-Automatic Transmission
-20,000 miles
-Power Windows/Power Locks/Power Steering
-A/C
-Power Black Leather interior including Rear Seat(s)
-Tilt Wheel/Cruise
-AM/FM Cassette
-Rear Class V Hitch
-Aluminum Diamond Tread Tool Box
-Drop In Plastic Bedliner
-Diamond Tread Bed Rail 'Caps'(around entire bedrails)
-Rear Sliding Window
-Stainless Step Up Side Bars
-The owner also put on larger tires(BGF AT KO), I think they are 285s
instead of the stock 265s
-Plus it comes with a Western Plow/Plow Hitch
-He wants $21,000 for it.

I checked my carfax report and it has a clean title and history.
I checked online and it 'should' go for $20,500 trade in value or have a
retail value of $29,010. The tool box is worth $400 alone, and probably
another $100 worth of bed rail caps and $500 for the stainless steel step up
bars. I know what to look for on used Dakotas, but used big ole beastly Rams
are another thing......especially ones which have 20,000 miles on them and
have plowed for 2 years. The body is perfect and the interior is really
really clean.....just need to know what I should look for mechanically. What
warranty comes with the 99 Rams anyways? Wouldnt this warranty transfer over
to myself if I bought this truck?
Kyle