Mods on high mileage motors

From: Michael Clark (mike@mikesdakota.com)
Date: Tue Jun 05 2001 - 14:15:41 EDT

Ok, I've got 108,650 on the odometer. I'm thinking about a cam swap
and while I'm doing that I'll replace the timing set. Is doing
something like a cam swap on a high mileage motor a good idea? Would I
be better off to just keep saving for a complete rebuild instead?
Engine runs fine. It uses/leaks about 1 quart every 5000 miles. I
don't know for sure how much is leaked and how much is used, but the
garage floor doesn't have any spots. My valve covers are seeping
though (I think some new gaskets are needed).

Would a compression test be in order to determine how healthy the
engine is?

Last weekend I started up the Dak (it had been setting for a few days
without being started) and I heard a lifter ticking pretty loud for
about 2 seconds, then it went away. Should that worry me? It's never
done that before.

If I do decide to go forward with the cam swap, would there be any
sense in putting new lifters, and push rods in? I want to, but don't
know if I really need to or if it would just be money wasted.

And how dumb would it be to set a supercharger on a high mileage
motor? Thanks guys

--Mike www.mikesdakota.com