RE: Mods on high mileage motors

From: Sam Parthemer (srp@home.com)
Date: Tue Jun 05 2001 - 15:12:16 EDT

Mike, if you are planning on keeping the truck for any extended period of
time,
consider this-- You could pull the motor without too much fuss.

Have a the heads checked out (have a valve job, go with bigger valves, etc.)
Have the crank/cyl checked... Probably just hone the cyl, and rering the
pistons. Put yourself a cam in, new timing chain, new oil pump, etc.
Put it back together, new gaskets all around.. reinstall your motor.. and
You'll have at least 108K additional miles as new... Plus while it's out,
throw in a new Torque Converter, and have your seals replaced on the front
rear of transmission.

Sounds like a lot of cash, but that's what I plan doing on my RT about 100k
miles...

As far as just doing the cam, replace the lifters, and have the pushrods
checked.
I am having a 383 big block rebuilt, and the pushrods were fine, I am
putting
in a Crower cam, so I also replaced the lifters at the same time.

Don't put a SC on a highmileage motor... You'll just be pulling the motor a
lot sooner.

Sam '00 RT
(Got a '95 SLT for sale still... once I get it running)