Re: Steering Column Problem ???

From: Leonard Price (lprice@consultronics.com)
Date: Fri Jun 08 2001 - 10:37:20 EDT

I have a 1998 CC 5.2L 2WD w/Tilt steering as well and I have noticed the
same clunk when turning. I have tried to figure out the problem and at
first thought it was ball joints, but checked them and all seems fine. I
have greased and lubricated to get rid of the clunk but to no
solution. Your problem is the first time I have heard anything that sounds
remotely related to my trouble. I will get a hold of the TSB and see what
the dealer comes up with. Funny thing was that a light came on when I read
your note because I have a times grabbed a hold of the steering wheel and
pulled it towards me and duplicated the clunk to a lesser degree. I will
surely check out what you said.

At 08:43 AM 6/8/01 -0500, you wrote:
>DMLers,
>
>I have a 1997 Dakota Sport Club Cab 2WD w/Tilt Steering and 68K on the
>clock. The problem is that the steering wheel would make a cluncking sound
>when parking or heavy turning. I called the dealer and they said there was a
>TSB on the problem. I read the TSB and it said to retighten the steering
>column etc.
>
>I took the truck into the dealer yesterday and they said the steering column
>should be replaced because the bearings are worn and it could potentially
>seize. I have an extended 7/75 powertrain plus factory warranty but it would
>not cover the part. The new steering column cost $605 and the dealer took
>2016030267125ff so it ended up costing with labor $521 (ouch!!!).
>I'm a little mad at DC that a steering column with defective bearings that
>could be potentially dangerous is not covered under some kind of
>recall/warranty extension.
>
>I have the old column and it's part number is not the same as the
>replacement and the shift rod looks different also. My father has a 2000
>Durango and it has the same shifter so this is the new and improved design.
>When driving I noticed that the it feels much more tighter even better than
>when the truck was new. So needless to say DC modified this column for a
>reason.
>
>So my question is has anybody experienced the clunking sound on the 97-98
>Dakota's and did you have the dealer fix it ? If that did fix it what did
>they do ? Do you think DC should cover some of the cost for a potentially
>dangerous problem ?
>
>Thanks,
>Jim

Leonard A. Price