RE: Re: Dead Dak, I screwed up Somehow

From: Sam Parthemer (srp@home.com)
Date: Mon Jun 11 2001 - 16:44:45 EDT

I read this 2-3 times, and I am not sure that you have your rockers adjusted
correctly. You may not have compression on the cyl. firing
due to the way you adjusted the 1.7s.

The CORRECT way to adjust them (and it's fool proof.. I'm a fool and was
able to do it!):

Get Cyl #1 at TDC (Timing mark on harmonic balancer). Both Intake and
Exhaust should be at rest..Tighten each rocker until you can't turn the
pushrod freely, then go 1/2 more. Set your lock down screw. Then rotate
crank by hand 45 degrees (there's another timing mark on the harmonic
balancer), Adjust next cyl in the firing order, then turn another 45
degrees, adjust next cyl in firing order, etc. etc. until all 8 are down.
Install your plugs, Mopar Valve covers (or OEM covers with baffles
relieved), plug wires and you should be able to start engine (here a tapped
for only 2-3 seconds, then turn off.. wait 5 minutes, do it again, 5-6 times
until tapped noise is nearly gone then run engine). Keep rpms below 3000
rpm for first 50 miles.

Sam '00 RT Crower 1.7s for over 25k