Re: Dead Dak, I screwed up Somehow

From: Chuong Nguyen (dester223@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Jun 11 2001 - 22:08:38 EDT

I'm sensing 2 problems.

you said 7.1 roller rockers/ DAMN. are the valve springs sticking out the
hood? hehe.... sorry.

anyways. you said you "Torqued" the 9/16 nut down until there's zero lash?
On roller rockers, you're supposed to start the motor without the valve
covers, loosen the 9/16 hold down bolt until that rocker/lifter/pushrod
starts to "tick tick tick" then you tighten it until the ticking goes away..
  you then give the nut another 1/2 a turn and tighten the allen screw in
the middle.

I think when you set it down to "zero valve lash" you pushed the valves in a
little so it's somewhat open not allowing compression in the cylinders. If
that's true. I bet your starter is winding hella faster too (give me credit
on that one, happened to me :) )

so, take those valve covers off and try readjusting your rockers./
-Chuong

<<I tried to fire her up. Ran the starter for 5 second intervals and after
3
tries waited a while to make sure I didn't fry my starter too. The damn
thing won't start, it turns over, doesn't even rumble like it wants too, I
can smell a little gas after doing this a while so I know she is getting
fuel. But I can't get her to run. So, I thought the coil free arching
earlier might have been the problem, so I switch to a BRAND new MSD SS Coil
and have the same results. I sat and check everything over and over but
can't find anything wrong.
I know you guys can help get me running again! Any ideas???
Thanks,
Shawn 98 5.2L 4x4 CC