RE: RE: RE: WAS Dead Dak,Now Sick Dak;-)

From: Sam Parthemer (srp@home.com)
Date: Tue Jun 12 2001 - 09:37:36 EDT

Oh yeah.. once you get TDC on cyl #1, to find the next TDC, you need to only
rotate the engine 45 degrees (you'll see a smaller timing mark on the
harmonic balancer)...as that approaches, check the next cyl in the firing
order (#8) which will close exhaust port.. once the timing marks align you
are at TDC on cyl #8.. tighten, then turn engine another 45 degrees (there's
another timing mark) you'll be on cyl #4 TDC, tighten, rotate again 45
degrees (you guessed it, another small mark) you'll be on #3, continue #6,
#5, #7, and #2. Once you do the first 2 you'll see how easy it is.

Because you may have collapsed a few of the lifters, you'll probably need to
do this twice unfortunately. Have it so that the pushrod has just a little
friction when you go to spin them-- take up the slack for the up/down, then
try to spin the push rods between your fingers like a pencil-- get a little
resistance, tighten down 1/2 turn and lock 'em down.. Once you do all of
them, you may find that the tapping sound doesn't go away quite as easily.
If it doesn't subside, remove both covers, back off all the rockers, and try
it one more time (by now the lifters have pumped up, and you can do the
install as if fresh from the start-- it will work 100% of the time from this
condition).

If you have any questions, call me (619) 723-8679.

Sam