RE: Towing...Should I smack my salesman? (LONG)

From: Sam Parthemer (srp@home.com)
Date: Tue Jun 12 2001 - 13:36:28 EDT

Where to start... well.

Power wise, the 4.7 does not have the grunt of the 5.9L, but it does have
the HP to tow. The 3.55 gearing itself isn't bad, but I'll get to that
later.

The issue with the towing package : It includes a few things-- One a 136 AMP
Alt-- A transcooler, and finally HD Cooling (bigger radiator, I believe).
Also it would include the hitch (which you got added), as well as the
complete wiring socket for trailer lighting, and brakes. Dodge doesn't
include a brake controller, only the wiring harness wrapped up nicely in the
glove box. I took ours out, plugged it in under the driver side dash (real
bitch to get up into), then purchased an electronic brake controller and let
it sit freely in the center console near the 4x4 lever (put Velcro on the
bottom, and left long enough harness so that I could put a piece of Velcro
on my pant leg and slap the controller against my leg for easy of use when
going down a grade.)

So, if you added a tranny cooler, the wiring/brake controller for the
trailer you should be equipped the same as the package, minus the bigger ALT
(and possibly the radiator, but I think that the trans cooler is all that is
involved now.). Depending on the weight of your hitch, the Durango should
handle 500# (10% of 5000#) okay. If not, you can get air bags (not shocks)
that will help keep the ride level, and under control. A U-HAUL car hauler
weighs about 1600#, and isn't light. I've towed a CJ5 V6 jeep with a UHAUL
trailer, no problem. If you get a car trailer, about 1000#, add the weight
of your jeep, say 3500#, you are in the 4500#. Well within limits.

The 3.92 gearing is nice, but you will NOT be able to use OD with it, and
that limits towing speed to about 55 mph MAX (pulling 3000 rpm). With 3.55
gearing (what I have) you can cruise in D about 65-68 mph (pulling less than
3000 rpm). Sure, you drop down into the 50 range on a grade you'll drop
into 2nd.. but for the most part it's fine.
I towed a 1100# car trailer w/a very heavy big block 71 Plymouth Satellite 4
door to a friend's house recently, and had to climb a >6% grade. I hit the
bottom of the grade at 65 in D, and topped out at
50 mph at the top in 2.... And I was passing people.

Finally the big deal-- you'll get better mileage with the 4.7L, especially
with 3.55 gearing-- expect to kick it out of OD a lot on steep grades, but
that's okay-- You might get high teens on the fwy, whereas the 5.9L won't
see 15 mpg ever.

Sam '00 RT 5.9 w/3.92
    '99 4x4 5.2 w/3.55 (the one that tows)
    '95 SLT 5.2 w/3.92 5 spd (the tow master)