Re: Guage Problems on a 97 Dak

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Wed Jun 13 2001 - 07:34:55 EDT

At 09:39 PM 6/12/01 -0700, you wrote:
>I was driving home last night, and all my guages went dead, the Air Bag,
>Security, and Gas lights are all on, and my Odometer is blinking the current
>mileage, and not incrementing. I tried turning the truck off, and back on.
>No help. --SNIP--
>
>Do I have a fried computer? The truck runs just fine. I was hoping someone
>out there has an idea what may be happening before I take the truck to
>Dodge, and pay thru the nose for electrical system diagnostics.
>
>Thanks! Ryan LeBlanc

Hi, Ryan

The first thing that I would look at is the Central(?) Timer Module (CTM)
and its circuitry. I have exactly the things happen when I use the
'96 MP PCM on my '97 at the track.

The '97 wiring for the dash basically goes from the sensors to the PCM ,
then PCM to the CTM, and then CTM over to the dash. On the '96 Dak,
there is no CTM (wiring basically goes from sensors to dash).

When the dash does not receive any or most of the signals from the CTM
for whatever reasons, the symptoms that you described will occur. I don't
have my '97 FSM currently available so I can't give any further details.
It is possible that the CTM (located to the right and behind the glove box)
has packed it in or something is wrong with its wiring/fuse.

HTH.

Bob Tom Burlington, Ont., Canada
'97 Dakota Sport, 4x2, CC, Flame red, 5.2L, auto., 3.92SG