Re: Should my muffler be rusty?

From: Jim Yeagley (jyeag@core.com)
Date: Wed Jun 13 2001 - 09:06:24 EDT

Andy,
It's all in the grade of stainless. Most likely, your stock exhaust (and
mine too) is 304 stainless. Most of the aftermarket exhaust you'll see is
409, which is better as far as rusting goes. I don't proclaim to be a
stainless expert by any means, this is just my understanding. I think it
has to do with the nickel content in the steel that makes it harder, softer,
and more or less succeptible to rust. I can guarantee an aluminized pipe
will last waaaaay less time than your originals, and will rust through
faster.

I live in Ohio, so I feel your pain, and there's no way I'd spend any money
on an aluminized system over a stainless system. Powder coating could be an
option, but that would probably put the price over stainless anyway.

If you are really hurting for a better explanation of stainless steel
differences, try this:
http://www.sppusa.com/reference/white_paper/wp_ss.html

Jim Yeagley