rear end noise (somewhat long)

From: Darren Asuncion (dakotaguy1999@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Jun 17 2001 - 19:03:20 EDT

Heya everyone,

I was just looking in the archives and noticed there were quite a few
threads on rear end noises. Just wondering, was there ever a 'fix' for
this? Starting last week, the rear end on my truck started making some
noises (getting worse by the day). First noise is at 30mph, while coasting
uphill or feathering the gas on downhill or flat parts - its a moaning
noise. Kind of a 'ghostly' sound as my friend would describe it. Next
noise is a whine noise from 45mph and faster. Happens mostly on low-load
conditions like coasting or maintaining speed also. Then finally I've got
kind of a 'vibrating noise' when slowing to a stop. Seems to occur from
30mph and slower, only when slowing down. Its strange, it sounds like a
vibration but you can't 'feel' anything. sounds almost like road noise
similar to what a set of mud terrains or something would make. I've been
able to replicate these noises by lifting the tires in the air
and 'driving' it to these speeds - thereby eliminating tire noise as the
cause. Also had the gear lube changed religiously every 6mos (Mobil 1), and
the diff was to the proper level when I checked. If anyone has some
suggestions for what I can do I'd really really appreciate it! The truck
currently has 38,000 miles and also has (thank goodness) the added care"
7/75 service contract. Other truck specs are in my signature. Thanks again
for the help!

Darren Asuncion
dakotaguy1999@yahoo.com
Kodiak, AK
'99 Intense Blue CC 4x4, Sport +, 5.2 V8, 44RE auto, 3.55 LSD (8.25"),
4wheel ABS
http://www.geocities.com/dakotaguy1999/dakota.html