driving sand dunes, plus hot weather

From: J. Courtenay Brandon (jcbrandon@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jun 18 2001 - 14:59:28 EDT

Spent a few hours this past weekend at Pismo Beach,
officially the Oceano Dunes SVRA, in Southern
California. Never having driven on sand before I was
worried about getting stuck as I had no buddy along to
yank me out.

The truck amazed me. I drove the hard sand to the
south end of the beach passing a few pickups stuck
along the way. The only vehicles I saw up high in the
dunes were bikes and buggies. Figured I wasn't going
up there with them. Just before I turned around I saw
a stock full-size pickup come down out of the sand so
I headed up there. Over the next couple of hours I got
farther and farther into the dunes. Eventually I drove
up to the top of the highest one I could find. I did
avoid the bowls and steepest slopes. But I never had
any traction problems at all.

This is in a stock 2000 Club Cab 4x4 with a full-time
transfer case, limited slip, and 31-inch Wranglers. I
never even locked in the center diff.

I'm interested in hearing about any other experiences
with our trucks on sand dunes.

Crossing the Tehachapis yesterday was another
gratifying experience. It was 100 degrees down in LA
County and 95 up on top of the Grapevine. I drove
between 70 and 75 mph the whole way with the air
conditioning on "max". The temperature gauge never got
over 210 degrees. This is on a 5000-pound truck with
an automatic transmission. I'm very glad I got the
heavy duty cooling package.

Can't say enough about how great this pickup is :-)

cheers,

-J.