Re: DML:Tire screeching and squealing/me too!

From: Will Coughlin (willcoughlin@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Jun 20 2001 - 00:40:40 EDT

Hey, all you people with this problem, before you assume there is something
wrong with your truck, let me suggest something. The material that they lay
down to mark crosswalks, lanes, arrows in parking lots, etc. will cause your
tires to squeal like hell. My dad ran our Suburban onto a curb a while
back,and shortly after(while he was still listening and feeling for any
damage the little mishap may have caused) we were in a parking lot making a
lot of turns with the windows down, and we noticed that the truck seemed to
squeal. We thought he had really screwed something up until I got out of the
truck and walked next to it, watching what was going on. I noticed that the
truck was relatively silent until he turned accross a "marking" in the
parking lot. It was at that time it would squeal. What we determined is that
the tires don't have much traction on these markings and that they are
actually sliding/slipping, causing the squeal(we later confirmed the
no-traction theory with a little go-pedal and a lot of limited slip!,
basically doing a burnout with very little effort). Larger vehicles,
IE-trucks are more prone to it becuase they have an odd weight balance and
are heavier overall, causing more "push". Might want to investigate this if
the problem seems to be intermittent.

Will Coughlin willcoughlin@hotmail.com
'00 reg.cab,2wd,4.7L/NV-3500HD5-spd/3.92sg(9.25")
http://www.geocities.com/willcoughlin/index.html

----Original Message Follows----
From: steve preston <steve239dak@yahoo.com>

Yeppir. Along with having all the problems (at one
time or another) that people usually mention here,I
also have that little annoyance.Mine is a 99 V6 RC
auto 3.92 anti-spin 4x4(with the big wheels).Mine
squeals like crazy when making a turn,depending on the
turn,but unlike any other vehicle around me! This one
Wendy`s(tm) drive-thru that I go to has a 90 degree
turn between the sign and the pick-up window.I can
take that turn coasting slowly with the brakes
applied,and it sounds like someone either in front or
behind me is squealing their tires.The first time it
happened,my wife said,"Who was that"? I said,"Me,I
guess!" Also at a four-way intersection downtown (in
front of the police station),I CREEP through that
one,because there`s always a lot of people walking
around,and it`s actually embarassing.I just act like
I`m being especially careful. Steve P.