Re: Need info on Gen I

From: miggitymike (miggitymike@fast4x4.net)
Date: Thu Jun 21 2001 - 01:16:11 EDT

>>>Does it have the throttle body or a carb?<<

it should be TBI, meaning it has a throttle body with 2 injectors mounted in
it. No biggie, just clean it with some carb cleaner and call it a day =)

>>Is it okay to use the Autolite 3923's in it like the Gen II Magnums?<<

I wanna' say that the 23's are too cold, but I haven't tried em' in my 88.
Since premags aren't prone to pinging, you don't need a colder plug. I would
stick with the 24's myself... if it ain't broke......

>>Does it have the same distributor?<<

the internals of the dis. are the same, but the premag engine is set up for
a carb. You can advance and retard it if you want, unlike the magnums where
it really doesn't do anything. You don't HAVE to because the computer will
adjust accordingly, but you can advance it for some more umph if you don't
mind running premium fuel.

A coupe more things: check the EGR valve and PCV. I know my premag runs like
garbage when those things are ready to go. Also, a drop-in K&N is a good
idea. I'm getting ready to tune mine up. Keep and eye on the main seals on
that motor... mine have been gone for about 50k miles =(

-miggity