probably a stupid ?

From: Pukeloser@aol.com
Date: Sun Jun 24 2001 - 01:12:02 EDT

This may be (and probably is) a stupid question, but all the instructions
(from hughes and in my service manual) for installing a new cam assume that
the engine is out of the vehicle or the heads are removed. Correct me if I'm
wrong, but I can install the cam without removing the heads (or the whole
damn engine) right?

None of the instuctions I have tell me how to do it without removing the
heads. I was hoping I could fing a gauge that would fit in the spark plug
hole and give me piston movement measurments (for degreeing the cam) but
haven't found one.

So what advice can anyone give me on installing the cam without removinng the
heads. HELP!

John S

95 cc 318 auto, transgo shift kit, HE stage II TB and intake, 1.6 Roller
rockers, MSD digi6+, MSD HVC coil & 8.5 wires, Hp cap + rotor, MP PCM, DT
headers, Gibson exhaust (3" from headers back, no cat), 180 stat, autolite
3923's, progear DR timing chain, 24# FMS injectors, auburn LSD, 4.10 gears,
superior axles