RE: Stinky AC

From: Sevrence, Sean (S.J.) (ssevrenc@visteon.com)
Date: Mon Jun 25 2001 - 15:31:01 EDT

Hey Jason!

You are correct. The component in the AC system that does the cooling of the
air is called an evaporator core. The cold freon is run through the tubes in
the core and both cools the air and removes the humidity. The humidity
mostly drains underneath the truck through the floor. There is some residual
water left in the case based on how the truck sits. When parked in a garage
floor (design position - level in all directions) the case should drain
completely. If you park in the street, you could be saving some water
depending on how much curvature is in the street next the curb (looking down
the street, see how much lower the sides are from the center). As with all
cool, moist air in a dark place, mold will appear -- thus the bad smell.
Baking it out is the easiest method - see Matt Tharp's reply. HTH!

Sean
'92 RC Sport 3.9L 5spd - 250,000mi!
'01 CC SLT+ 4.7L 5spd 3.92 LSD Mobil-1!
http://www.twistedbits.net/WWWProfile/dakota/DnuuSncssJujU