Re: DML:Replacing Lower Ball Joints

From: Travis Gensch (wtgensch@execpc.com)
Date: Mon Jun 25 2001 - 22:58:41 EDT

""Kyle Kozubal"" <grndak4x4@home.com> wrote in message
news:003b01c0fdac$497b6640$deee0818@hmmnd1.in.home.com...
> > Thanks Kyle. I am assuming that you are not doing the labor yourself?
> > Since you are way better at mechanical work that I am, I guess I'll
start
> > looking around at shops. I was hoping that the replacement would be
easy
> > and I could do it myself. Guess not.
>
> I was toying with the option of doing it myself, but currently I am not
> sinking any money into my truck, just gas money and oil changes.
>

> > The problems with the truck include a shredded tranny, new front hub
> > assembly and manifold seal. The plus side is that I had to deal with
bad
> > service for these changes. I was hoping that the front end problems
would
> > be covered under the extended warranty and then come to find that the
cost
> > would be $600 instead of a $100 deductible. I was not very happy. The
> truck
> > went in because the tires were wearing funny and I thought it had front
> end
> > problems (seems kind of loose and pulling). The Tech had looked at it
and
> > could not find much wrong, other than a little too much play in the ball
> > joints. Would this cause the tire wear problem? \
>
> Sure bad ball joints would cause tire wear issues, especially worn tie
rods.
> I always have my trucks front end alignment checked every 3 months or so,
> since it is covered under the alignment warranty I bought recently with
the
> new tires.
>
> >They recommend
> > a tire rotation every 6000 miles to help with bad tire wear. The tires
> were
> > not wearing much when the tranny was fixed (and I mentioned the pulling,
> > floating front end feeling was starting to occur). It's at most 6000
> later
> > and there is noticeable wear. The wear problem seems to be getting
worse.
> > Not sure what I should do next.
>
> I have my truck's tires rotated and balanced every 6,000 miles, just
because
> it does help with extending tire life, and plus it is free. All terrain
4x4
> tires will wear differently, especially if you use your truck off road. I
> have had 4 sets of tires on my truck now at 143,000 miles. The stock
> Goodyear Wrangler ATs lasted 35,000 miles(bald), Hoosier Radial All
Terrains
> were on for 43,000 miles(pretty worn, great traction though), Dunlop
Radial
> Rover RVs lasted 52,000 miles(some tread left too), and my current BFG AT
> KOs have only been on since November 2000. Routine balancing, routine
> rotation, and routine front end alignment checks will help tires last
> longer. It is how you also use them that will affect their
lifespan.....not
> to mention watching the tire pressure. How old are your shocks?
> Kyle
> 93 Dakota 4x4 V6

Funny you asked about the shocks. I think that they are stock yet. I have
a new set of ES9000's in the cab of the truck waiting to be installed.
Currently they are only the rears, since the fronts are on back order.
Should I wait until all the shocks are installed and see how things are?
Could shocks fix the problem along or maybe shocks and an alignment? I was
thinking of having the truck checked out by another shop and see what they
have to say (and what the price comes to). Is there a site that shows the
different uneven tire wear types and what is a likely cause of the problem?

Thanks,
Travis