Re: DML:Replacing Lower Ball Joints

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Mon Jun 25 2001 - 15:23:16 EDT

> Thanks Kyle. I am assuming that you are not doing the labor yourself?
> Since you are way better at mechanical work that I am, I guess I'll start
> looking around at shops. I was hoping that the replacement would be easy
> and I could do it myself. Guess not.

I was toying with the option of doing it myself, but currently I am not
sinking any money into my truck, just gas money and oil changes.

> The problems with the truck include a shredded tranny, new front hub
> assembly and manifold seal. The plus side is that I had to deal with bad
> service for these changes. I was hoping that the front end problems would
> be covered under the extended warranty and then come to find that the cost
> would be $600 instead of a $100 deductible. I was not very happy. The
truck
> went in because the tires were wearing funny and I thought it had front
end
> problems (seems kind of loose and pulling). The Tech had looked at it and
> could not find much wrong, other than a little too much play in the ball
> joints. Would this cause the tire wear problem? \

Sure bad ball joints would cause tire wear issues, especially worn tie rods.
I always have my trucks front end alignment checked every 3 months or so,
since it is covered under the alignment warranty I bought recently with the
new tires.

>They recommend
> a tire rotation every 6000 miles to help with bad tire wear. The tires
were
> not wearing much when the tranny was fixed (and I mentioned the pulling,
> floating front end feeling was starting to occur). It's at most 6000
later
> and there is noticeable wear. The wear problem seems to be getting worse.
> Not sure what I should do next.

I have my truck's tires rotated and balanced every 6,000 miles, just because
it does help with extending tire life, and plus it is free. All terrain 4x4
tires will wear differently, especially if you use your truck off road. I
have had 4 sets of tires on my truck now at 143,000 miles. The stock
Goodyear Wrangler ATs lasted 35,000 miles(bald), Hoosier Radial All Terrains
were on for 43,000 miles(pretty worn, great traction though), Dunlop Radial
Rover RVs lasted 52,000 miles(some tread left too), and my current BFG AT
KOs have only been on since November 2000. Routine balancing, routine
rotation, and routine front end alignment checks will help tires last
longer. It is how you also use them that will affect their lifespan.....not
to mention watching the tire pressure. How old are your shocks?
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6