Re: Speaking of speakers...

From: Richard C. Stillwell (rstillwell@mediaone.net)
Date: Thu Jun 28 2001 - 11:28:29 EDT

I suggest a couple of things..

If you just want it to sound good and don't plan on blowing your eardrums
out (I really should post up pictures of my system in DML), I would just get
decent speakers to fit around your car. The ones they put in stock are
laughable, in my humble opinion (the magnets on the speakers are about the
size of my thumb).

Dakotas are tricky with the mounting depth of your speakers, *especially*
the pre-redesign, but you shouldn't have too much of a problem. I suggest
speakers by Audiobahn (which are *great* and have a shallow mounting depth,
well priced too--and they make great subs). Otherwise, Sony makes some
decent components in their Xplod series and really, almost anything is going
to be leaps and bounds over stock and will be able to handle whatever comes
out of your head unit. Stay away from JBL and MA Audio, though.

If you're feeling spiffy, you can do the flush mounting of the components
and etc yourself, or you can have your local electronics dealer (Good Guys?
Circuit City? They're not cheap, but they do good work) do it for around
$80.

Put it all in and then contemplate your bass. If you decide you need a sub,
you can either A) get a Bazooka tube with the amp built in or B) turn
yourself into an audiophile and sink in mega-dough and totally redo
everything with amps, capacitors, equalizers -- the works.

The cheapest I've found a lot of stuff, including my AudioBahn components
is from www.competitionsound.com

Richard
rstillwell@mediaone.net
1995 Dakota Sport 3.9L V6 w/ about 3000watts shaking the panels off.

"Andy Levy" <andylevy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I'm really getting tired of the factory speakers in my '99 CC. I upgraded
> the head unit to an Alpine about a year and a half ago. I'm not looking
> go overboard, just replace the speakers I have and maybe add a pair of
> tweeters.
>
> Any suggestions on some nice midrange speakers? I'd like to keep the cost
> down - I'm not an audiophile like my co-worker who recently dumped $15,000
> into his 4Runner, mostly on stereo/electronics - but I definitely want
> things to sound better and not have to replace the speakers in a year.
I'm