Check Engine '98 Durango

From: Michael Clark (mike@mikesdakota.com)
Date: Sun Jul 01 2001 - 16:04:14 EDT

My parents '98 Durango developed a problem yesterday. Coming to a stop
it died and after restarting the check engine light was on. I tried
resetting the computer and that gets rid of the light, but as soon as
you drive off it comes right back. So there is something definitely
wrong. The other thing I noticed is that the shift points are WAY up
from normal (actually I like how it shifts now, but it's not right). I
tried to pull the codes by holding the odometer reset button. It goes
through the guage checks but doesn't show any codes. Any ideas on what
this could be? I'm thinking something to do with the tranny. The
tranny filter was recently changed, could something have gotten messed
up during the install?

 Dak content: when my GenII dak tripped a MIL the other day it was
 very easy to pull the codes.

 --Mike
 www.mikesdakota.com