Re: Engine and Transmission Oil Cooling Questions

From: MALDBNSF@aol.com
Date: Tue Jul 03 2001 - 08:39:28 EDT

In a message dated 7/3/01 6:31:08 AM, alek@sigecom.net writes:

>Hello everyone.
>

>I've got a birthday coming up [July 5th, whee!] and I've been trying to
>
>figure out what I want.
>

>I was browsing through the latest Summit catalog when I noticed something
>
>that I think is pretty cool - it's a combination engine and transmission
>
>oil cooler kit. Comes with a dual-circuit radiator, oil filter relocation
>
>kit, fittings, clamps etc. [PN: SUM-G4978]
>

>Anyway, I thought that a transmission oil cooler is never a bad thing,
>
>and an engine oil cooler would be beneficial as well.
>

>I understand fully the concept of the radiator, I have no questions about
>
>that. I also understand how the engine oil portion of the kit works. My
>
>question is about the transmission cooler.
>

>The description of the kit says it comes with "instructions for plumbing
>
>your existing transmission cooling lines" into it. My basic question is,
>
>do all transmissions have cooling lines? Or simply those that came with
>
>transmission cooler from the factory? [I know I sound very ignorant, and
>
>I am when it comes to this subject, that's why I'm asking.]
>

>I'm essentially wondering if it would be a simple install into my 93 2.5L
>
>or if I would have to add all sorts of "extra" stuff that doesn't come
>
>with the kit. I also notice that some of the other transmission cooler
>
>kits in the catalog mention that they are for automatic transmissions.
>
>have a manual, does that make a difference?
>

>I also wonder if this is even worthwhile - would my truck benefit from
>
>this mod? [I deliver pizza, so I do a LOT of city driving .. about 350-400
>
>miles a week.]
>

>Any information you folks could provide would be greatly appreciated. If
>
>this mod isn't worthwhile, I'll have to decide what I want for my birthday
>
>instead. :)
>

>Thanks!
>

>--
>
>Alek Benedict with a techno beat.
>
>[email] alek@sigecom.net [web] http://members.sigecom.net/alek
>
>'93 Dodge Dakota Sport RC, SB, 2.5L, 5spd, 2x4, 3.55
>
>'87 Mazda RX-7, NA 1.3L Rotary, 5spd [parting out due to blown engine]
>
>DML Profile: http://www.dakota-truck.net/profiles/dakota/MbY60Xj09WQIU/

 Let start off by saying HAPPY BIRTHDAY ALEK!!!!!! Now that's out of the
way....

All cars I ever seen have a tranny cooler mated inside the main radiator,
Just look for to small pipes coming out of the main radiator. I think they
are about 3/8 of a inch Just tap in to the one that flows back to the tranny.
And your right a transmission oil cooler is never a bad thing, and an engine
oil cooler would be beneficial as well. I have installed an oil cooler on my
Dak. Hope you get what you want for you B-day <{;-)

Don M

http://www.geocities.com/maldbnsf

'00 QC Bronze, 4.7L, Rest listed at
http://www.twistedbits.net/WWWProfile/dakota/QwkvWz@DAJFf6/profile.htm

P.S. Did I mention I love my DAK!!!!!!!!!