Re: Engine and Transmission Oil Cooling Questions

From: Will Coughlin (willcoughlin@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Jul 03 2001 - 09:17:03 EDT

Alek, I have yet to see a manual transmission cooler. I guess since manuals
have no fluid pump like an automatic, it would have to have it's own pump
system to force the fluid through the cooler? An engine oil cooler is
something I really want to add to my dak and is always a good idea. Cooler
oil lasts longer,and I think protects better. I'm just having a hard time
finding a place to mount a cooler on mine! Space is so tight in front of the
radiator on my Gen-III that it'd have to be pretty thin. I'm thinking I
might have to get one of those fan-assisted coolers and mount it in a remote
location, although I don't want it too far away. I'm also thinking of going
to one of those remote filter mount systems and running dual filters that
are much bigger than the stock size.I would also plumb in an oil temp gauge
while I was at it. I think my oil would stay much happier then!

Will Coughlin willcoughlin@hotmail.com
'00 reg.cab,2wd,4.7L/NV-3500HD5-spd/3.92sg(9.25")
http://www.geocities.com/willcoughlin/index.html

----Original Message Follows----
From: "Alek Benedict" <alek@sigecom.net>

Hello everyone.

I've got a birthday coming up [July 5th, whee!] and I've been trying to
figure out what I want.

I was browsing through the latest Summit catalog when I noticed something
that I think is pretty cool - it's a combination engine and transmission
oil cooler kit. Comes with a dual-circuit radiator, oil filter relocation
kit, fittings, clamps etc. [PN: SUM-G4978]

Anyway, I thought that a transmission oil cooler is never a bad thing,
and an engine oil cooler would be beneficial as well.

I understand fully the concept of the radiator, I have no questions about
that. I also understand how the engine oil portion of the kit works. My
question is about the transmission cooler.

The description of the kit says it comes with "instructions for plumbing
your existing transmission cooling lines" into it. My basic question is,
do all transmissions have cooling lines? Or simply those that came with a
transmission cooler from the factory? [I know I sound very ignorant, and
I am when it comes to this subject, that's why I'm asking.]

I'm essentially wondering if it would be a simple install into my 93 2.5L
or if I would have to add all sorts of "extra" stuff that doesn't come
with the kit. I also notice that some of the other transmission cooler
kits in the catalog mention that they are for automatic transmissions. I
have a manual, does that make a difference?

I also wonder if this is even worthwhile - would my truck benefit from
this mod? [I deliver pizza, so I do a LOT of city driving .. about 350-400
miles a week.]

Any information you folks could provide would be greatly appreciated. If
this mod isn't worthwhile, I'll have to decide what I want for my birthday
instead. :)

Thanks!

--
Alek Benedict with a techno beat.