Re: This could be bad

From: Anthony_Gonatas@ars.aon.com
Date: Tue Jul 03 2001 - 09:22:39 EDT

Doug,

     I'm not sure if your still needing to find out if it's a bad ring or valve.
But here is a suggestion to find out what it is.

First crank the motor enough to get max pressure, check the PSI. Now shoot in
some 80 weight gear oil into the bad cylinder, if the PSI increases it's a bad
ring, if it stays the same it's a bad valve.

Anthony

"Hey guys,

    I did a compression check of my engine this morning and all the
cylinders are showing 180-185 psi except for #4 and #8 which are showing 160
psi. The truck just hit 38,000 miles so its out of warranty. Any
suggestions?

Thanks,

Doug Myers
'99 Dakota RC/SB 5.2L/5-speed/3.92SG"