RE: Re: A thought on tailgate open switches (ATTN: Don M)

From: Kenneth Eng (keng@novadigm.com)
Date: Thu Jul 05 2001 - 15:47:13 EDT

I do not have this feature as my Dak is a 98. My first assumption was that
the overhead and cargo light came on at all times at a single switch
position. Let me get the operation of the switch correct.

There are 2 positions on the switch regarding the overhead light and cargo
lamp.
Position 1 - overhead light on only.
Position 2 - overhead and cargo light on.

Correct me if this is wrong.

If this is correct, is it possible that when the cargo lamp is turned on,
the overhead light is turned on as a reminder?

The switch turns on the overhead light by completing the circuit to ground.
I examined this circuit when I installed my OEM overhead console.

There can be 2 possible ways that the overhead light is being switched on
when the cargo light is on:
Method 1 - by the contacts in the switch.
Method 2 - by the wiring from the cargo light above the headliner.

If by method 1, it would be difficult to separate the 2 lights.
If by method 2, the overhead light may be disabled by disconnecting the
overhead light from the cargo light. Check the wiring diagram in the FSM to
determine if the two lights are wired together.