Re: Dakota Purchase

From: andy levy (andylevy@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jul 09 2001 - 13:13:01 EDT

Gus,

The 5.9L is only available with the Quad Cab and R/T. The 4.7L only
became available in 2000, replacing the 5.2L. Generally speaking, the
newer Daks have had fewer "common" problems because Dodge (like any
other automaker) is constantly debugging, changing and improving the
design of vehicle. But, with a slightly older one, there's a decent
chance those bits have already been fixed, and quite possibly replaced
with the improved design (if there is one).

>From what I've seen on the list here, your gas mileage will depend upon
your driving habits/style as much as or even more than your choice of
drivetrain. We have one member who consistently gets 25MPG or more on
his 4.7L, but there are others who get worse mileage with their V6 or
4.7L than I get with my 5.2L.

There will be quite a few of us at Carlisle this weekend, stop by and
ask us anything.

--- fbaker <fbaker@vt.edu> wrote:
> Hello all,
> I am in search for a new vehicle. I have a good idea of the asthetic
> options
> that I want but I would like some help with powertrain and model year
>
> selection. I want a 2X4 Auto with a V8, but I am not sure whether I
> want the
> 4.7 or 5.9L. Is there a year that is generally better in quality and
> reliability than another? Or is there a specific year to stay away
> from? For
> instance I have heard that there is a shortage of '97 Ram
> computers... I would
> imagine that the shortage applies to the Dakota's but probably not a
> reason to
> pass up a good deal on a used Dakota.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, is there any advantage
> to the V6?
> I have not heard of great mileage savings? Really that depends on
> driving
> habits...
>
> Any insight on Dakota showing at this weekends upcoming Carlisle
> show?
>
> Thanks,
> Gus

=====