Re: Flex-a-lite Black Magic fan #150 for sale

From: Shane Moseley (smoseley@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Mon Jul 09 2001 - 14:12:38 EDT

John_Neff@Dell.com wrote:

> I have the fan wired up exactly as stated in the instructions.

I don't know of a single fan setup that even comes w/a relay w/the included
wiring.

> The main
> power lead is wired directly to the battery. I can't think if a way of
> getting even more power to the fan without a coil.

If the fan were wired directly to the battery - it would be running all the
time even w/the ignition turned off. I bet you at least have a switch (either
thermostatically controlled or otherwise) - what is the rating of the switch?
What is the max amp draw from the fan? These components need to match for you
to get the required current all the way to the fan.

For example - a 16in fan that is rated at 1850cfm using 9.5 amps - mount that
sucker w/a cute little "glowing blue when on" dash-mounted toggle switch rated
at 1amp and guess how much current the fan gets?

This is just what I read - I haven't had much experience installing these
setups. Anyone w/some good (electrically sound) methods of wiring these things
up? And why don't they come w/adequate wiring in the first place? Its not
just a coincendence that they also sell those 30amp relays on the same page as
the fan setups.

Thanks,

Shane

--
'96 IndyRam-HisIndy-MPI TB Pulleys RTcam MPComp HVoilpump DynaGearDoubleRoller
WindageTray CompTAs