Re: Re: Re: Installed true duals, lost horsepower????

From: chris@slowcar.net
Date: Thu Jul 12 2001 - 02:04:47 EDT

   Okay, first of all backpressure in a properly designed primary exhaust
system is BAD. Primary exhaust system is basically the headers and maybe
first 12-18" past collectors.

   Now there are a couple of reasons why the reduction in backpressure might
have hurt you

1) A/F ratio - if you are getting more exhaust out and the computer is not
     compensating properly then you may end up hurting yourself.

2) Spark timing - if you get more exhaust out you actually typically need
     less timing - since backpressure acts like an internal EGR and reduces A/F
     charge quality

3) Improper Cam timing / primary exhaust system (stock cam and manifolds).
     if you have a crappy setup (like from the factory) then you can loose hp
     below your torque peak, though ONLY below the torque peak. This
     could be remidied by a better set of headers, which would pick up power
     across the board.

   Chris Bennight