re: Tire ?

From: J. Courtenay Brandon (jcbrandon@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Jul 13 2001 - 13:13:20 EDT

Ed Halterman asked:

"We're gonna be making a trip to Pismo next month to
play in the sand dunes. My ? is that would I be better
off with my stock tires or put my mudders on?? I know
about airing down."

Are the tires the same size? Everything else being
equal, a mud tire will be more likely to get you
stuck. In sand you need flotation. If your mudders are
a lot bigger than your stock tires the added flotation
may be better than the disadvantage of the aggressive
tread.

As someone else recommended, avoid sudden anything:
braking, accelerating, turning. Drive gently and
you'll surprise everybody out there with what you can
do. That also means don't shift gears (if you have a
manual transmission) while climbing a dune. If you
have an automatic, I recommend leaving it in Drive and
let the transmission do the shifting. Similar
suggestion for the transfer case. High range will
probably be less likely to get you stuck than low
range.

If you don't already have an air compressor, now would
be a great time to get one. Also bring a shovel and a
tow strap. Plus extra beer in your cooler to thank
anyone you need to ask for help getting unstuck. Bring
an empty cooler to carry the beer that others offer
you for helping pull them out ;-)

cheers,

-J.