Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 360 oil pan

From: Steven T. Ekstrand (cyberlaw@earthlink.net)
Date: Sun Jul 15 2001 - 16:15:46 EDT

Why would placement of the sump require a different gasket?

On the old engines (which is ALL I know), the 360 had a cast crank with a
longer stroke than the old 3.31 stroke forged crank motors. To allow the
long throw cast crank to survive Ma Mopar increased the diameter of the
mains. This required a different oil pan between a 273/318/340 small main
engine and a large main 360.

If you held the two pans up the difference would be in the half circle dip
at each end. The 360 has a bigger half circle cut out.

NOW!!! That is true for the old engines.

What is the case with the modern magnum's??? Did they increase the
diameter of the mains on the later 318? I can't imagine they would. If
that were the case then a 360 crank would fit in a 318 magnum without mods
(requiring custom pistons though)??? This just doesn't sound right.

-STE