Re: Oregon Back Roads Discovery Trail prelim report

From: WOT or waiting at a Red (dakatack@home.com)
Date: Tue Jul 17 2001 - 11:45:07 EDT

What I would recommend someone due to their truck to prepare for a
trip like this.

I would like to have run this in a group but the other couple had to back
out (no pun intended) at the last minute. It would be much safer with two or
more rigs.

32" tires are great and I suspect we would not have gotten through much of
the run with stock tire height and treads.

A winch would have been helpful.

GPS and laptop with active tracking maps are highly recommended if you want
to follow a route.

Take spare air filters or one that can be cleaned on the trail.

Larger gas tank would have been good. We packed a 5 gallon can.

A 3" lift would have been nice. Departure angle on the Daks could be better
and this would help there.

Heavy duty brush / push guard up front.

Disconnect the sway bars.

If you don't have a winch, mount front tow hooks.

You could do this run with a stock Dak but I wouldn't to that. This main
trail was fine for a stock rig, but we went off the trial a lot, even broke
new ground a few times and went places a stock Dak could not follow.