Re: OBD-I to carb swap

From: miggitymike (miggitymike@fast4x4.net)
Date: Wed Jul 18 2001 - 03:22:10 EDT

>>Has anyone on the list done a carb swap on a Gen-2 OBD-I system? Please
e-mail me off list, I have some specific questions such as, how do I use the
alternator without the computer, how did your fuel supply system work, how
did your gauges work without the computer?<<

hey Mark, I can answer a couple of these. Once you nix the computer, your
speedo, gas guage, and a couple others will still work (don't remember
specifically), but your tach will definitely not work. The man to talk to
about this is Scott Miller. He put a carbed 360 in his Shelby. It was
premag, but if you look under his hood he ran a wire from the computer to a
voltage regulator then to his alternator or something like that. A fuel
pressure regulator will help you with the fuel pressure, and the pump will
work if you give it 12volts. You may want to get a pump out of an 87 Dakota,
and grab a sending unit out of one too. They came carbed. Add a regulator to
get enough fuel pressure. Hell, just grab the entire tank out of an 87
Dakota with the sending unit in it, get an aftermarket pump and regulator.
You can keep your fuel lines... okay, I'm just rambling... but I hope I'm
making sense =), or at least gave you a couple of ideas. Get in touch with
Scott Miller, he knows all about making the guages work and the alternator
work too...

-miggity