ABS problem

From: Tony Brummett (tony@blight.com)
Date: Wed Jul 18 2001 - 23:09:52 EDT

I just recently resubscribed after being off the list for a while. I
searched through the archives, but didn't see anyone else with the same
problem I'm having.

First off, the vehicle in question is a '99 Dakota 318/5sp 4WD 4-wheel
ABS. The problem I'm having is that some days you can hear the ABS unit
go off at random times (99% of the time my foot is not on the brake pedal),
and eventially the idiot light on the dash comes on, both the ABS light
and the regular brake light. It happens more often when the truck has
sat overnight, and when it's damp or raining. This has been going on since
around February.

I've had it in to the dealer 4 times, now. Twice they've replaced a wheel
speed sensor, twice they've found nothing wrong, including today. I just
ran out to the store, and sure enough, it did it again. Mabye it likes
the mechanics more than me :(

I tried getting the trouble codes out of the computer (hold down the
trip/odo button and turn on the ignition). All the gauges did their little
dance, but the odometer just displayed the milage, not the error codes.
I even reset the computer, but it still didn't give any codes; I was
expecting it to at least complain that the power had been disconnected.

Any idea what the problem might be? The people at the dealership certainly
don't have any clue.

Thanks
-- Tony tony@blight.com