Turbo theory--long

From: Mike Styer (m_styer@go.com)
Date: Thu Jul 19 2001 - 03:02:21 EDT

Not the question you think though. I was scrounging through a decent scrap yard today and low and behold I find a late model Audi with a bent frame and trashed body. Hop onto the engine and look inside and what do I find but a turbocharger set up with only 50k miles on it. I asked the yard guy what he wants and I can get a the complete set- up for $50 :)

My question is, how is a turbo charger install different from a supercharger install? It seems to me that most SC (except the Kenne Belle's) are basically bolt on mods. A lot of folks dont change the PCM or anything else even, just get a longer belt and open up the exhaust and off you go. I am thinking find two identical turbos, one for each side of my V6. Of course I will have to have someone fab up some exhaust for me, but what else?

Do turbos, specifically those found in stock Audi's, pump a much greater pressure than a supercharger, so that it would neccessitate a stronger intake setup to the TB? And where is the optimum power band for these chargers?

And where are some good sites with info on turbocharging?

I've been thinking of this all day, man am I excited :) But if I can do it I am going to do it right and plan EVERYTHING out in advance. Thanks for the help folks...

Mike Styer
93 V6 5-speed