Re: Turbo theory--long

From: Mark Kuzia (flyboy01@mediaone.net)
Date: Thu Jul 19 2001 - 08:57:01 EDT

To give you a short answer, no, it is not the same, a supercharger is belt
driven and will give you somewhat predictable boost according to rpm. A
turbo is exhaust driven, and will give you varying amounts of boost
according to how much, how soon, and how long you will have your foot into
it. A turbo requires an engine management system (holley, $1800) that can
control the engine's normal needs for fuel as well as fuel for differing
amounts of boost. It can be done easily if you stick with a fuel injection
system that can do this.

Mark Kuzia
flyboy01@mediaone.net
http://people.mw.mediaone.net/flyboy01/home.html
1995 Dakota 13.79 @ 102.45 mph
~360ci, 5-spd, 4.11 LS (8 3/4 [3.90 SG] coming soon)
1994 Dakota 15.36 @ 91.56 mph
~318ci, 5-spd, 3.90 LS (bone stock, no mods)