Re: Fuel Injectors

From: Tricia Moseley (triciamoseley@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Jul 19 2001 - 18:27:30 EDT

I was going to say "You can't just take them off and clean them yourself -
send them off..." but it was then that I realized I had used the word
"can't". Since that word doesn't compute w/some of us - lets discuss this
further.

Professionals take them off and clean them - why can't we? I have studied
(few mins) a couple that I've held in my hand. I understand that they have
a filter "basket" in the top (fuel entering) section. This filter basket
is normally replaced (along w/o-rings), the injectors flowed for a
baseline, then cleaned, then flowed and cleaned until within a certain
tolerance of each other. Ones that don't flow like the majority are
replaced. Sounds simple enough.

I looked for this fileter "basket" and didn't see anything but possibly a
very small hard (possibly metal) o-ring looking thing sunk flush into the
top of the injector. I assume this is the filter basket w/only the top rim
exposed. Looking down into the fuel entry hole w/a flashlight confirmed
that possibly a thin metal mesh is just below. How you get that sucker out
- I dunno.

Next is cleaning. A pressurized (around 50psi) fuel/solvent source is
needed along w/a jig to hold the injector upright (and seal the pressurized
fuel/solvent). The bottom will need to be partially submerged below the
rim of (or at least pointed at and close by) a container to catch the
outgoing fuel. Preferable a cylinder w/graduated marks for measuring
output volume for a given time.

That brings us to how to "flow" them. You will need to supply a voltage on
one pin (continuously I think) and then use the gnd circuit as your
trigger. Firing the injectors for a fixed time period will serve for
comparison purposes. There is no real need to be as precise as a number of
milliseconds provided that your total period of "on-time" is consistent.

Fuel injectors come in either high-impedence or low-impedence designs.
There are "saturated" and "peak-and-hold" types of drivers for the
corresponding design (can't remember which goes w/which). I'm not sure if
you absolutely REQUIRE these drivers to do something like flow them. It is
true that to get the proper characteristics out of them you need the
appropriate driver - but just to flow them for a few seconds? I dunno.
Anybody know? The drivers are readily available if need be. Hell - Bernd
is probably working on some as we speak 8)

Comments?

Latr,

Shane