Re: Magnum motor part questions

From: Shane Moseley (smoseley@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Sat Jul 21 2001 - 10:18:44 EDT

> >2) Anyone have a Part number for
> > 1) Fel Pro Magnum (360) head gaskets (or Mr. Gasket)
>
> FelPro - #1008 will work. OK for bore up to 4.180, read as fire ring is
> further out. Compresses to .039

I understand that p/n 1008 is for the LA blocks. I picked up Fel-Pro p/n 9898PT
(also says 10081) which has applications to only late-model magnum V8 blocks.
The 9898PTs match up to the late-model block casting much better. It doesn't
say what the compressed thickness is but am pretty sure all the "PermaTorque
Blue" series are 0.039.

> > 2) ARP head bolt and main bolt kit
>
> ARP doesn't sell a kit for the heads. Hughes has assembled the necessary
> pieces as a kit, about $70.
> I'm not sure if ARP has the Main kit. Dave at Hughes can help here as well.

Am pretty sure ARP has both the head and main sets. Try Mancini racing.

> >3) Will a standard chrystler small block "A" engine oil pump work in the
> magnum,
> > and what is the preferred oil pump. (stock re-worked, melling,
> moroso, etc.)

Yes - all small-block V8s (early and late designs) use the same oil pump. The
pickup tubes - around the lower screen "inverted funnel" area are significantly
different (early LA are large - Magnum are puny). I used a Milodon M72HV
high-volume pump, and a new pan and pickup assy from Mancini.

> Don't know. Please forward me the info, if you find out. I'm also in the
> process of building a 408. Low compression (8.3 or so) with aluminum R/T
> heads
> topped off with a S/C.

I'd keep the compression around 9:1 if it were my motor. Alum can handle
slightly higher as it gets rid of the heat quicker. If you run into problems
w/pinging - just use a little water/alcohol injection - and enjoy even more
power. Like say a 90 degree drop in intake temperature. Check out these links:

http://www.DawesDevices.com/water.html
http://www.DawesDevices.com/howto.html

Latr,

Shane

--
'96 IndyRam-HisIndy-MPI TB Pulleys RTcam MPComp HVoilpump DynaGearDoubleRoller
WindageTray CompTAs