Re: No more Dak :(

From: Steven T. Ekstrand (cyberlaw@earthlink.net)
Date: Sat Jul 21 2001 - 16:35:16 EDT

Uhmmm.... Are you buying used?

I think 99 was the last year for the 318 in a Dakota.

The 360 is only available as a 4x4 in a Quadcab with an automatic

The 287 (4.7L) is available in 4x4 in a reg cab, club cab, or quad cab.
5-speed or Auto.

So what you want in a vehicle may dictate the engine.

The 360 has more power. More HP parts available. But the 4.7L gets out of
its own way just fine, thank you. Especially with the availability of a
manual 5 speed.

The 4.7L gets better mileage, but the difference isn't really enough to
matter. The 4.7 was supposed to be a very fuel efficent design, but that
just hasn't been the case. Maybe because its so damn fun to drive hard???

I don't think you can go wrong with either engine. If speed is your
ultimate criteria a 4.7L Reg cab 4x4 with a 5 speed will probably beat an
automatic Quad Cab with a 360. But in equal vehicles the 360 should be
faster and the extra torque might show itself more in a heavy quad cab 4x4.

Steve Ekstrand
SoCal
Driver: '00 Dakota CC SLT+ 4.7L 3.92SG 255's
Stacey's Driver: '00 Inferno Red Intrepid ES-3.2L-24V Autostick w/Leather
Race Car: 69 1/2 Road Runner 440-6 (NHRA SS/GA)
Project Car: 69 Barracuda Notchback (Weekend Driver/AutoXr/Beast)
Homepage: http://sites.netscape.net/professormopar/homepage