Re: Can I control the fuel pressure in a gen II Dak?

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Sat Jul 21 2001 - 23:24:38 EDT

"Mark Kuzia" <flyboy01@mediaone.net> wrote:
: Is there a way to up (control) the fuel pressure in a gen II dakota? I would
: like to increase the pressure a bit, my 24# injectors are too small for WOT
: with the 360 pcm, and the 30#'s are too big for the street. If I can't fix
: this problem, I will be going to a carb.

  Ouch! Not the "c" word! ;-) Yes, you can control the fuel pressure,
but only up to '93. In '94, the fuel system was changed to eliminate
the engine bay fuel pressure regulator and return line. However,
it is possible to install your own return line and use an aftermarket
adjustable fuel pressure regulator, or you may be able to simply retrofit
a '92-93 system. (A NOS tech I spoke with mentioned that one of their
customers had done this on a 5.2 Grand Cherokee in order to be able
to run a dry nitrous system.)

  I ran into this problem when researching nitrous systems, which
requires the fuel pressure to be adjusted "on the fly". If you're just
looking to up the fuel pressure a little bit and keep it there, it might
be possible to mess with whatever Dodge is using for a regulator back at
the tank. I have no experience in this area though, so not much help
there. Just going by guesswork here, but given that the fuel pressure
is designed to stay the same (more or less), there must be a way to
regulate it back at the tank, so the trick is to find out how that
is done and fiddle with it. Which, I suspect is what you were asking
in the first place, in which case my whole post did nothing but waste
your time. I hope there was something in there of use though. :-)

 Good luck with it; I'd hate to see your truck kicked back into the
dark ages! ;-) Myself, I'm currently on a quest to make the cuda's
750 double pumper homeless. As soon as I can scrape together the
cash, it will be! :-)

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com -----. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | '70 Barracuda, '92 Ram 4x4, '96 Dakota, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly | `----------------------------------------- http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'