Fuel Injectors (diy cleaning)

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Wed Jul 25 2001 - 16:22:37 EDT

Late reply.

My son takes each injector off, soaks the injector spray tip
in a container filled with enough injector cleaner to put tip
under the surface for a few minutes, dries them, and then
puts an air gun to it.

Looking through the opening opposite of the spray tip,
you can see what, if anything, has been caught by the filter.
If there is stuff there, he hold the injector vertically with
the filter end pointing down, sprays with injector cleaner,
and lets the stuff run out.

Most of time, injectors get dirty on the outside of the
spray tip from the combustion chamber deposits ...
similarly to the way deposits build up on the back
of valves.

As I stated previously, it must work well because we just started
a car which had been stored since '88 with no problems.

Bob Tom Burlington, Ont., Canada
'97 Dakota Sport, 4x2, CC, Flame red, 5.2L, auto., 3.92SG